Details of It’s Early History
Research by pupiIs and members of the staff of Lawnswood High School in old files of “The Leeds Mercury” to find the exact date of the school’s foundation, has brought to light some interesting details of the school’s early history.
The year of the opening, 1854, was well known, but it was only after a diligent search that an advertisement was found in one of the filed copies of the “Mercury” for that period establishing the date of the school’s foundation as July 24. This was, in fact, the first school in Leeds under public management to provide education for girls beyond the elementary stage. The establishment of the school was contemporary with that of the earliest schools and colleges for girls in the country.
At that time it was known as the Ladies’ Educational Institution. Two other changes were made before the present title was adopted. After the school had been moved to the Mechanics’ Institute in 1868 it became known as Leeds Girls’ School, and this was altered to Leeds Girls’ Modern School in 1897.
When Leeds Education Committee took over part-control of the school in 1907 it moved to premises in Willow Terrace Road formerly occupied by the Leeds Middle Class School, and the final change to the new building at Lawnswood was made in 1931.
Now that the exact
date of the opening has been established, Founders’ Day celebrations will
be an important event in the school year.
Back to HOME PAGE